Our production of “My Old Lady” has been nominated in the Best Drama Category for the National Operatic and Dramatic Association 2018 Awards. It is indeed a high accolade to get just a nomination and we are all excited to find out in May 2019 if we have won this wonderful award. The plays director, Robert Naylor Stables, is delighted to hear the news and if you wish to see more of his fabulous direction please come and see our February production ‘That Good Night.
The WDS is Wheathampstead’s drama society, founded in 1946. It currently has about 70 members.
New members are always welcome – whether you are interested in acting, directing, set building, lighting, props, serving behind the bar, stage photography or any of the other jobs that help make our productions a success. We are particularly looking for young people to play parts scripted for younger actors and also for technically minded people to help with lighting and sound. Do please let us know if you are interested.
Membership is currently £15 per year with reductions for joint membership, full-time students and the over 65’s. We send out regular newsletters to keep our members up to date with news about planned productions and forthcoming special events and theatre goings.
The Wheathampstead Dramatic Society was nominated for the Wheathampstead and District Preservation Society Annual Awards in 2017 in recognition of the numerous productions and pleasure the society has given to the people of the village over the past 70 years.
National Operatic and Dramatic Association (NODA) Awards
- Malcolm Hobbs – Best Actor Nomination: The Weir
- Robin Langer & Pip Dowdell – Best Duo Nomination: Relative Values
- Irene Morris & Julie Field – Best Duo Winners: Ladies in Retirement
- Julie Field – Talking Heads: Best Actress Nomination
- Jonathan Field – Talking Heads: Best Actor Nomination
- Sarah Brindley – Losing Louis: Best Actress Winner
- Sara Payne – Time of my Life: Best Actress Winner
- Pip Dowdell – Helen: Best Comedy Actress Nomination
- Viv Fairley – Calendar Girls: Best Actress Nomination
- WDS – Best Play – East District 3 – Entertaining Angels
- Pip Dowdell – Entertaining Angels: Best Actress Winner
- Len Skilton & WDS Set Builders – Entertaining Angels: Best Set Nomination
- WDS – Best Play Nomination – East District 3 – 39 Steps
- Sarah Brindley – 39 Steps – Best Actress Nomination
- Steve Leadbetter – 39 Steps – Best Actor Nomination
- Jonathan Field & Irene Morris – Best Duo in a play – Double, Double
- WDS – Best Play Nomination – East District 3 – Double Double
The Wheathampstead Dramatic Society joined NODA in 2008
Nova Horley, our local NODA representative’s website;