Welcome to the Wheathampstead Dramatic Society (WDS). Founded in 1946, we are a NODA award-winning Dramatic Society based in the beautiful village of Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire.
We are a small and friendly group sharing a common interest in providing high-quality, entertaining performances for the local community.
Our aim is to put on 3 productions a year in February, May, and October at our home in Marford Memorial Hall, Wheathampstead where a subsidised licensed bar is available for drinks and snacks on the evening of each performance.
Several social events are organised throughout the year, including quiz nights and a summer BBQ, allowing members to socialise, chat and catch up. We also publish a regular newsletter informing Members of upcoming productions and social events.
New members are always welcome – whether you are interested in acting, directing, producing, set building, lighting, props, serving behind the bar, stage photography, or any of the many other jobs that help make a successful production, we have a role for you!
We are very keen to talk to new members to play roles scripted for younger actors as well as Directors, Producers, Lighting and Sound Engineers.
Members who want to support the group by coming along to watch our plays or participate in one of our social events are also very welcome.
If acting in a production, there are about 20 rehearsals before the start of each play, held midweek evenings, twice a week.
Technical rehearsals for sound, lighting, and 2 dress rehearsals are held the week before the production.
All rehearsals usually take place locally in the Memorial Hall, Wheathampstead.
If you are interested in joining our Drama Society, would like more information or would like to arrange a visit to one of our rehearsals please contact our Membership Secretary at email@example.com and provide your name and phone number.
Alternatively contact us using the form below.
Membership is currently only £15 per year with concessions for joint membership, full-time students, and the over 65’s.
Chair of The Wheathampstead Dramatic Society
The Wheathampstead Dramatic Society was nominated for the Wheathampstead and District Preservation Society Annual Awards in 2017 in recognition of the numerous productions and pleasure the society has given to the people of the village over the past 70 years.
National Operatic and Dramatic Association (NODA) Awards
- Malcolm Hobbs – Best Actor Nomination: The Weir
- Robin Langer & Pip Dowdell – Best Duo Nomination: Relative Values
- Irene Morris & Julie Field – Best Duo Winners: Ladies in Retirement
- Julie Field – Talking Heads: Best Actress Nomination
- Jonathan Field – Talking Heads: Best Actor Nomination
- Sarah Brindley – Losing Louis: Best Actress Winner
- Sara Payne – Time of my Life: Best Actress Winner
- Pip Dowdell – Helen: Best Comedy Actress Nomination
- Viv Fairley – Calendar Girls: Best Actress Nomination
- WDS – Best Play – East District 3 – Entertaining Angels
- Pip Dowdell – Entertaining Angels: Best Actress Winner
- Len Skilton & WDS Set Builders – Entertaining Angels: Best Set Nomination
- WDS – Best Play Nomination – East District 3 – 39 Steps
- Sarah Brindley – 39 Steps – Best Actress Nomination
- Steve Leadbetter – 39 Steps – Best Actor Nomination
- Jonathan Field & Irene Morris – Best Duo in a play – Double, Double
- WDS – Best Play Nomination – East District 3 – Double Double
The Wheathampstead Dramatic Society joined NODA in 2008
Nova Horley, our local NODA representative’s website;